“Discipline is choosing between what you want now… and what you want more.” – Unknown
Well, bummer ! It really is this simple. What do I want vs what do I say I want. The proof is in the proverbial pudding at the end of each day. Have I placed my thoughts on those ideas and affirmations of what I say I want? Did I pay attention to my feelings and purposefully move to let go of negative, shift upwards (even incrementally) into a more empowering state of mind? Did I take one teeny step of action toward what it is I say I am wanting? If the answer is ‘Yes’ ~ then good on me!!! If the answer is ‘well, kinda, sorta’ ~ then I need to pay more conscious attention and give it a bit more oomph-of-focus. If the answer is ‘well, not really’ ~ then I need to get honest, stop b.s.-ing myself, assess my hesitations and avoidances, and look with authenticity at the valid (hahaha) reasons I allowed myself to avoid doing the above.
- did I allow others’ priorities to supersede my own
- am I buying into others’ views of ‘how it really is’
- was I afraid of rejection
- was I people-pleasing in the first place and don’t really wanna do/be the stated ‘want’
- is my comfort-zone a wee bit too comfortable
- do I not want to face the change(s) I know I need to make
- do I deep-down think I don’t have the ability to succeed at ____
- am I tired of the ‘struggle’
- did the dog eat my homework
Each of the above has a solution. Actually, a variety of solutions. Do you have the desire to find the answers? Do you want to? Therein lies the truer question.
‘They’ say “sh*t happens.” Shift happens too ! Your choice … and commitment. I hope you decide to explore the answers. I hope you want to be willing to create a shift for yourself. You matter in this great scheme of Life. Embrace the discipline to explore and discover. You’re not alone.